It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

What happened??

I turned my head for just a minute and 2013 was gone and now 2014 is here.

January 2013 started like most  of the Januarys since 2006.  Jim was no longer with me.  This was the beginning of the 7th year without him.  Of course I missed him, but I have precious memories and they sustain me.

February, March and April were filled with doctor appointments but nothing  out of the ordinary.

On Memorial Day in May (Friday the 31st) my daughter went with me to my old home place to put flowers on Jims grave.   We made several stops so that I could see old friends for a short visit.  I arrived home in late afternoon.  My daughter and I had stopped at a couple of places to buy flowers, some to put around the light post at the end of my driveway and some for a planter.

My world fell apart when I opened my mail box that Friday afternoon  and I saw a big fat letter from Illinois Cancer Care announcing that I had an appointment there (located here in Pekin) on next Tuesday.  This was the first notification that I had cancer.  I told my daughter that there was surely some mistake as I hadn’t received the results of the biopsy that I had done.  I called Cancer Care and was told there was no mistake.  I had received a telephone call a couple of days earlier that I was to see the surgeon that did the biopsy on Saturday and be sure and bring someone with me..  What had happened was that his office had made the appointment for me before I had been officially notified of the results of the biopsy.

What followed was a grueling round of scans and many doctor visits including a stress test (and many other tests) before I finally went in the hospital in July for surgery and radiation.  I was in the hospital for 5 days then home for 2 weeks and then back in the hospital for more radiation which finished on August 10th.  The recovery has been slow but I am doing well now, thank God.

On November 17th 2 tornadoes touched down here in Pekin.  One of the tornadoes cut a swatch  through the area that I live in.  Approximately 150 homes were damaged or destroyed in my city that day.  My kitchen window was blown out and there was glass everywhere.  Just yesterday I was cleaning underneath the stove in the kitchen and found more glass.  My kitchen window is still boarded up inside and out and it is dark in my kitchen even with the lights on.  My neighbor across the driveway from me suffered severe damage and has had no repairs done there yet.  I was told before Thanksgiving that it would be 9 – 12 days and my window would be put in.  And I have some ocean front property to  sell you too, located right here in central Illinois close by the Illinois River,  Oh and that reminds me that we had torrential rains here in early spring 2013 and the Illinois River was flooded big time.  I don’t live far from the river but my part of the city was not affected by that although Peoria was hit hard as was part of downtown Pekin.

To sum it all up, it was a rather nerve-wracking year but it was also a year filled with divine interventions.  I found a new friend in Sally (who is in remission for over 2 years from cancer) and I discovered that my next door neighbors would help me out when I needed them.  All totaled it was a good year and I am ever grateful to be sitting here typing this and thanking God for the privilege.

Happy New Year to you all, my blogging family.  May 2014 be a year filled with lots of love, peace, happiness and good health.  For right this very minute in time, Stay safe and be happy!!

Beth

30 comments:

  1. Beth, you have certainly had a very trying year. So glad your health is better and hope you soon have a new window. Whatever is taking them so long? May 2014 be much quieter and healthier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Beth 2013 is gone and 2014 is going to be a great year for you. You had many blessings that came and I am so happy your year ended the way it did. All the love and prayers you received were from the heart. We all love you Beth. HUGS All the best in 2014 I know it is going to be wonderful. HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, you have had quite a year. You are a strong woman with much faith. I admire you. Thanks for your blog. I will keep reading into the new year. Happy and healthy 2014 to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a woman of great faith to be able to see God at work in such a year! It is an honor to know you! May 2014 be better and brighter in every way! Many blessings....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers were certainly answered this past year from all of us. You came through some very hard times and scary times and we are ever so grateful. May 2014 be a much calmer,safer and healthier one for you Sis. We are blessed that you are with us always. XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  6. God's blessings on you dearest Twin. They already are, as He led you through the terrible times and saw that you had love and support not only from Him but from all of your friends. xxooxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessings to you in this new year, Beth. You remain in my prayers. Mildred

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're unstoppable Beth. I believe for good things for you and I in this New Year. God bless and keep you this year my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hope your rough spell is over with and 2014 will be kinder and gentler for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blessings and Prayers with you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sending you the best of New Year wishes, Beth, for peace, joy, and good health! xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  12. blessings in disguise beth, i have had soooo many!!

    happy 2014 to you and your friends and family!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. May happiness be your constant companion. May 2014 be gentler and kinder to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish 2014 to be a year full of good health and lots of smiles for you. :)
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Beth, Hope 2014 turns out to be a very special year. God Bless - Hugs Nita

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year Beth, I hope you have a good one this year of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, you did have quite a year in 2013. I am glad you are still here and still blogging. I enjoy visiting with you online. Have a blessed year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did have a bad year, but one that ended on a good note with your test results. We;ll pray that 2014 is a good one for you - you are due for one. You are a wonderful person and an inspiration to me with your positive attitude. Happy New Year Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beth, you've had your fair share and I pray this year will bring you much health and happiness. Blessings, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's been quite a year for you. I wish for you much happiness and good health in this new year. I've enjoyed your blog this year and getting to know you. : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. You went through a lot more than your share Beth. So much in one year. I pray to God to give you strength. Stay strong. You are an inspiration to us bloggers. You even took time out to write a recipe. That was nice and that gave me a good feeling about you.
    I wish you good health and a lot of happy things to celebrate. Happy New Year:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. God bless you, Beth. You had more than a little bit of anxiety and troubles in your year. I hope this next one is smooth sailing for you all the way. I am so glad that you are cancer free now! God bless and Happy New Year- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  23. It has been a trying year for you for sure. Thankfully it is all behind you, except for the window replacement. You have a very good attitude which is always helpful...God is good.
    Wishing you a very Blessed and Happy New Year. xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am wishing you a wonderful new year. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beth, I pray that this will be a much better year for you, with many happy unexpected pleasures. You certainly deserve a good year. God bless you and keep you safe and well. Hugs. Bertie

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are so amazing, inspirational, and I just know that 2014 is going to be a wonderful year for you !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A very touching and emotional post Beth. I am very happy that you are on the mend. Happy New Year my friend. It's late at night and I can't sleep. We have a blizzard on the way and I am not looking forward to the crush of people in a few hours. Now I will give sleeping another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My you did have an eventful year.
    I have no idea what it would be like to miss a husband, but I do know a little of how my father misses my mother, and that has been 5 years now.
    May you have good health in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Though the much of the year was tough your own toughness has shown thorough. May the new year bring you more health and peace. HUG

    ReplyDelete
  30. You certainly went through the mill in 2013 Beth, but things must surely get better, i'm wishing on a star for you, I have a friend who has been through cancer three times, had her lymph nodes removed the second time and a breast the third, she's been in remission for 5 years and been given the all clear, go herself a new pup and is raring to go, at 70 that's some going, so take heart an Good health in 2014, from me''n'roobs X

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)