It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Day Twenty Seven…For Auld Lang Syne

Auld Lang Syne : Lyrics

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!
Chorus.-For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

*****************************************************************

I can remember as a small child a feeling of sadness when I would hear the song Auld Lang Syne.  I never knew then why I would have this feeling of sadness.  I know now why I feel sad.  Another year is soon ending.  So many things have happened in my life this past year, the loss of a dear friend, a hospital stay and several new things health wise  for me to cope with.  I am a pretty tough cookie though and I can handle this stuff, although at times it has been pretty overwhelming.  I have put myself in the hands of so many doctors the last three  months that I have had to make a pocket folder for each one so that I could keep each  of the instructions in the right folder for the right doctor.  When do I take this test for that doctor and when do I have lab done for another doctor and they have overlapped so much that sometimes I had 2 doctor appointments on the same day.

I have a neighbor down the way from me that I see walking his dog in the area between me and the cemetery most days.  He always hollers ‘hello’ at me and tells me that he hopes this new year will be better for him than last year.  I feel sorry for him as he is rather scruffy looking and not to be unkind, I think he is a bit slow in his thinking.  I always chat with him for a minute and echo his words.  I don’t know why this year 2011 has been bad for him but I sure know what happened in my 2011.  I do pray to God each day that the new year will be a better one for us all.

Stay safe and be happy!!

Beth

************************************************************************************

Here is the original Scottish version of the Auld Lang Syne lyrics:

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne ?

CHORUS:

For auld lang syne, my jo,
for auld lang syne,
we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.
And surely ye'll be your pint-stowp !
and surely I'll be mine !
And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

14 comments:

  1. It certainly has been "a" year...and I think we just go on, from one adventure to the next, one event to the next...sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly...

    I still cry at Auld Lang Syne and never really know why. lol Probably a combination of things. I have had so much loss in my life, that if I don't keep my eyes on the present, I feel I'll drown. And it seems to get more intense the older I get.

    Oh well. Just for today, I will be happy. I will be grateful for what I DO have and not yearn for what I don't have.

    That's a start, isn't it??

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not been a really bad year for me, but a rougher one than usual. I am hoping that this coming year is going to be much better and hope it will be for everybody. May you be well and happy in 2012 and lets tip our cups to a bright future!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son's birthday is January 1rst. I look forward to the new year with hope and perseverance and faith. I wish you a wonderful 2012 my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis Mine was bad too as you know and I am also praying hard for good health and a much much better 2012..I know the winter hasn't really tackled us hard yet but hope it too is a mild one. Take care of yourself..you are a treasure to us all. : ) XXOO SIS

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a song that stirs the heart isn't it? I think I can agree that this has been a difficult year on many levels. I never like entering a year figure that I can't lose as long as it isn't as bad as the year before. Some of the most difficult challenges are following us into the next year for sure but I choose to face these things with a sustaining faith that only God can give. God's blessings rest upon you my friend and may more grace then ever before be with you for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh poor guy I hope that he has a better year! I'm loving your new blog look :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know Twin, I am aware how things could be worse and frequently are worse but--- 2011 has been a not good year for me either. My personal health re: the broken right wrist, the horrendous problem with the bursa of both knees and that unthinkable infection I had in my legs as a result of the injury......my little one getting sicker and sicker and finally leaving me.
    B-U-T: I'm still standing. As are you and our friends. We are grateful and we know Who to thank.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure hope your new year is better than this passed one. I finished off the lasagna tonight and I feel like a blimp. Treadmill time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2012 just has to be better for all of us. I share your feelings with trying to keep appointments straight and doctor's straight. It's a constant juggling act! I hope you have a better 2012 also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like the years go by more and more quickly. I know one good thing that happened to me this year - you found my blog and I made a new friend. :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. For Andrea. Thank you for your comment. You brought a smile to my face. I feel privileged to count you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes Beth the year has flown by and I wonder what the New Year will bring. Wishing you good health Hugs Sheila and Wile-e xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beth I left a comment on here in fact I think it was the first comment, but it's nowhere to be seen.??

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)