It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I have this burning…

need to know why all actors, whether in commercials on television or in movies think they look more appealing with a couple of days growth of beard?  OK for the younger actors but the older actors look like scruffy old men to me.  One actor in particular  looks extra scruffy.  It is the actor who plays the lead role on House on the Fox Network.  His name is Hugh Laurie.  You can check out photos of him on the links.

house-tv-show-07

~ Hugh Laurie ~

No reason for needing to know this, the thought just crossed my mind as I was reading something about George Clooney on the Net.  He didn’t look so bad 10 years ago with a couple of days growth of beard but now he looks like a scruffy old man.  Now don’t get me wrong, I love old guys but I think they need to shave every day.

I just bet you have figured by now that I had a boring day.  Not really so.  My brother and his wife from the St Louis area had been on a short trip to Iowa this week and they stopped by to see me on their way home.  We had a meal together at Dennys and a nice short visit.  It was very good to see them.  Other than that it has been a boring day.  I think I need to get out and do something exciting tomorrow.  Not sure what but if I think hard enough something will surely come to mind.

I have decided I don’t need a new car right now.  However if I do need one I definitely will go back to the dealer where that nice Tom works…and that guy was clean shaven.  LOL

One of my blogging friends from England told me that there are no pockets in shrouds and if I want a new car I should get it.  That is not a familiar expression in the US but I take it to mean that you can’t take it with you.  Thanks Arlene and if you are reading this and you are able to make it to America next year I will be expecting you to stop by and visit me!!

Red heart  Beth

17 comments:

  1. Your post are always interesting Beth,
    A men growth of beard is fashionable today?
    I'm with you that I don't like very much but everybody is difference test..
    So glad you have a good time with your brother and his wife, you are lucky to have a lots of brothers and sisters.

    Your new car: If you are happy why need to buy?
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, it's all my fault. I made the decision upon reaching official geezerhood.....when I received my AARP card. Due to our close proximity to southern West Virginia I decided to only shave once a week, whether I need it or not, between April 1st and September 15th and not at all the rest of the year. This is a precautionary measure so that I'll blend in with the locals if I have to cross the border and hide out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Chip. You have just put yourself in the category of scruffy old men.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree. They look just awful. Hubby has a mustache but only a beard during deer season, and then not always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my Hubby has a few days off from work he doesn't shave at all. I like it better when he's clean shaven.
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've wondered the same thing myself. I much prefer a nice clean shave, even if there a little beard or moustache or something, it needs to be kept neat and clean all around it. That's just me

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessings.....
    I think its like any of us, sometimes you feel like it and sometimes you dont. kind of like women want to make a change the first thing they are likely to do is the chop off their hair or color it. Sometimes men dont want to shave, they just want to have it scruffy.

    have a great tomorrow.
    rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're soon to be out camping so I may take on that look like it or not...for fashion? Hmm, not really my bad though my wife kind of likes it when I do that sometimes. I hear you on the car...I'd like a new one for us so I could pass the one we have to our youngest but so far that's not happening. Bless you my friend. I'll be back in five days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Hugh Laurie IS House---and that's major scruffy anyway. But you're right, I think it looks quite unkempt. I always call my older son, Sean, on it when he doesn't shave---then he gets right in there and takes care of it! Now, if I could figure out how to get MAX to shave more often (he's too proud of the fact that he has to shave at age 15!). Men!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you here Beth, it's not a look I'm fond of, and I bet it must scratch a bit when you're having a love in. On the other hand as one of the male posters said it's OK for women we can change our appearance, and they can't so easily.
    I'd love to come and visit each and every one of my blog friends if I get over to the states, but we haven't sorted out where we're going, it's such a vast space, and the reason I'm going? as I said to you, there's no pockets in a shroud, but my ex swore he'd sew some in his, and I bet he did he was so tight. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe as they we get older we still think it looks good, because our eyes can't tell the difference anymore ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to shave everyday when I'm working but I don't on my day off. I like to give my face a break. The idea of putting extremely sharp blades to your face every day is not fun. I can shower and dress in the time it takes me to shave. It's a pain. Paul McCartney once called shaving, "The curse of mankind." Everybody knows about his shaving expertise. Well maybe not. Still I wish I didn't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always like my man freshly shaven and just out the shower and hair all comb, how gorgeous is that...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well then my hubby is an old geezer, scuffy and has the 'used' look...LOL!
    So nice you got a visit from your bro. I hope you enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HOUSE is a character and he needs to look scruffy, HUGH L looks quite handsome clean shaven. I like GEORGE no matter what his face looks like and if he is clean shaven all the better. Nothin' much happening here I can talk about but suffice to say SUMMER is hot and I am not "down with that". HAH.. Take care Sis..
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can handle scruffy as long as he has taken a shower. My husband was an electric company foreman and he'd come home after three days working a storm looking scruffy and smelling not so good. Once he got out of the shower it was fine. Usually he'd shaved too, though.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)