It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mike’s Home…

My son in law came home from the hospital this morning.  He seems to be doing very well.  Thank you all for the kind thoughts.

Would you  believe that it could be snow flurrying outdoors at 40 degrees?  Well it is.  It is a dark gray November day.  I just hope none of it decides to stick to the ground.

The squirrels are busy scurrying around in my front yard amid the pile of Oak leaves trying to get all of the acorns buried.  Quite a job for them.  I noticed my neighbor putting up a squirrel feeder next door.  Jim had them on our trees at home.  Squirrels can be ornery and messy but they are a lot of fun to watch.  I noticed a robin still here this week.  I am sure he will take off for southern parts any day now.  As he was all alone he will have some flying to do to catch up with his buddies.

I have ham and beans cooking which I will share with my kids.  They really smell good.  I will tell this story in hopes that my sis in law isn’t reading this.  A few years ago when she and my brother were first married she sent me an email asking how to fix ham and beans.  I got quite a chuckle out of that because that is usually one of the first things a wife learns to cook.  Winking smile  Of course not all newlyweds are as poor as Jim and I were when we were first married. Anyway, sort the beans, soak the beans, drain the beans, cover the beans with water, chop an onion in them, add the ham hock and cook until done, watching the water level and stirring occasionally.  Nothing to it.

I need to finish this off and get busy.

Red heart  Beth

"I think at the end of time, God will have us fill out our own evaluation."

12 comments:

  1. Hi Beth,
    Pleased your s.i.l. is home and doing okay - wondering if your bean dish is what we called pease pudding, my mother always did it with boiled bacon.

    Hugs Nita

    ReplyDelete
  2. There I had learnt everyday new things Ham and beans cooked that I never heard of before...
    maybe in the American way of cooking:-)
    Wishes your SIL have a good rest,
    Enjoy your day,
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news about your SIL! Tell him we are all so happy he is home. Then he's going to ask you how all these strangers know his business, LOL. Good luck with that one :D
    Squirrels are going nuts (pardon that) over here, too. I counted 14 in the back yard this morning with my renegade one still hanging upside down on the bird feeder and completely cleaning it out. I love squirrels but they are bottomless pits. NEVER full. And have you ever noticed they can never find the nuts they buried? As smart as those little dickens are, you'd think one of them would have thought to open a nut bank by now.......ok, I'll stop. Sorry.
    Beans are good. I do mine like yours in the beginning, but I also add to all of that: bacon, carrots, and celery plus some of the celery leaves and fresh cracked pepper. Of course NEVER salt until the entire dish is done. From that, I make a number of dishes. Good stuff, mmmmm-mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad he is home and doing well now. May his recovery be swift. Bean soup yummm mom loves that but is not supposed to have the beans anymore.Think I might make vegetable though soon. We had thunder today and hail..never know what you are going to get in the winter time I guess.. Take care : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know he's home and doing well. :-) God is good. And so is his Dr. who did his surgery.

    I LOVE ham and beans and I can about taste those now. Lots of black freshly ground pepper in mne please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know Mike is home and doing well.
    Squirrels have been trying to beat me to the hickory nuts. We also have an abundance of acorns for them, so they shouldn't go hungry this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beans are a sure fire fall back when I'm stuck on what to cook. I think Frankie would rather have beans and cornbread than surf & turf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems we have both been walking the hospital floors lately. My daughter that lives in AL had to have her thyroid removed last week. I was with her in the hospital and now i am with her during her recouperation. Glad to hear your son-in-law is home, and we will pray for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good that Mike is back at home. Beans and ham we don't eat it here, sounds interesting. I thought they only ate beans in cowboy movie's.
    Have a great day Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your visit! What a pretty blog you have. I can barely get decorated round the farm for the major holidays, much less keep up for all the others I love in my home... I admire that you're so organized (and tech savy) that you can even keep your blog "decorated!" So fun and inspiring! I wish you and your family a very blessed Thanksgiving!
    hugs,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to hear Mike is home bet he's glad. I love pulses Beth sounds like a tasty dish any chance of a little photo so I can see the end result.
    Enjoy your day Hugs Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's 39 here but the weather is showing signs of a downturn that will likely last through the winter but we'll see. I don't see squirrels around here very often. Mostly we have antelope and on occasion white tail deer and some jack rabbits. I love to see them when they are around. I still see ducks and Canadian geese flying around in V formation...I wonder if they are actually leaving or going from one part of town to the next LOL! Glad to hear about your SOL doing so well...what an answer to prayer! My wife knew nothing of cooking when we married...now she does the lions share of it even when my mom is around on Thanksgiving...who thought such a thing was possible?

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)