It's that time of the year....

It's that time of the year....

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Retro Post

5/25/2006
Older American's month...
I didn't know until I picked up the paper the other day that May is Older American's Month. Older American's Month was created by John F. Kennedy in April 1963.

When Older American's Month was established in 1963, only 17 million living Americans had reached their 65th birthday. About 1/3 of older American's lived in poverty and there were few programs to meet their needs. Interest in older Americans and their concerns was growing, however. In April of 1963, President John F. Kennedy's meeting with the National Council of Senior Citizens served as a prelude to designating May as "Senior Citizen's Month."

Thanks to President Jimmy Carter's 1980 designation, what was once called Senior Citizen's Month is now called Older American's Month and has become a tradition.

I think this is great but I was alive in 1963 and I don't remember any of this. I had two small children and I guess I was living in a capsule. No one has made any mention of Older American's Month from that date on to my knowledge.

I know now, however, and I am ready to celebrate along with my other blogging friends who are over 65.
Break out the pizza and Maalox. We are celebrating Older American's Month!!


*** "I have no doubt that our world leaders are leading the world. It's where they are leading that I question."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Because of a lot of spam I am monitoring comments. :-)